Losing weight is always challenging and obtaining a lasting weight loss is often difficult. People with hypothyroidism have further challenges losing weight as they burn calories slower than people that have a good thyroid function.
You can test your thyroid function using our home thyroid test. This thyroid test is based on body temperature and pulse rate as well as symptoms.
The western diet and most so-called healthy diets include foods that directly suppress the metabolic rate. If you want to lose weight with hypothyroidism it is necessary to use a thyroid-promoting diet.
The key idea of our thyroid promoting diet advice is to avoid foods that suppress the thyroid function and instead basing your diet on foods that support the burning of calories and promote good cellular energy production.
Dr. Ray Peat’s Thyroid Diet?
Our thyroid promoting diet advice is based on the research of Dr. Ray Peat. Dr. Ray Peat is a leading thyroid expert and his diet advice is widely respected. Thus our thyroid supporting diet is not a quick fix but based on a deep understanding of how the body works on the biochemical level. We always recommend using our thyroid supporting diet before thinking about using a thyroid promoting medication or supplement.
Below we present 10 of our most important thyroid promoting diet advice. You should follow this diet advice if you want to lose weight and support your thyroid function at the same time.
10 Diet tips for overcoming hypothyroidism:
- Avoid all polyunsaturated fats, meaning liquid oils, nuts, and seeds.
- Use coconut oil and MCT oil as your fat sources, these types of fats increases your metabolic rate.
- Avoid starches meaning bread, rice, and pasta, as they increase your fat production.
- Use boiled vegetables including potatoes instead of starches with your evening meal.
- Use 100 grams of good protein per day including meat from ruminant animals, shellfish, eggs, low-fat milk, low-fat Greek yogurt, and low-fat cheese.
- Use lots of calcium-rich foods including low-fat cheese, low-fat milk, and Greek yogurt. The calcium in these foods is a very important metabolic regulator, in that calcium inhibits the fat-forming enzyme, fatty acid synthase, and increase mitochondrial function.
- Use orange juice and low starchy fruits between meals, to keep your blood sugar up and increase your production of the active thyroid hormone T3.
- Eat two big raw carrots per day. The carrot fibers clean out your intestine and fill you up so you are less hungry.
These 10 diet tips, might seem odd or opposite of what you have heard elsewhere. Our diet advice is very different, however, it is as mentioned based on a deep biochemical understanding of how the body works.
BiochemNordic’s Hypothyroid Treatment Program provides much more information on our thyroid promoting diet and health advice, as well as explanations behind the presented diet tips. If you want to live a healthy life with a good metabolic rate then this program is for you!
If you want a shorter overview of our thyroid promoting diet advice we also have a diet plan for overcoming hypothyroidism.